The California Mayors Coalition is an informal organization of California Mayors speaking with one voice on the critical economic and local issues outlined below in our COVID-19 Action Plan.
Navigating these turbulent waters during this unprecedented time in history takes collaboration and by working together we can meet this moment and help our communities thrive. The California Mayors Coalition has been assembled so that we may work together and speak with one voice urging the State and Federal government to assist cities with our continuation of essential services. We have an action plan and a shared desire to deliver for our communities.
Our COVID-19 Action Plan includes:
- COVID-19 Testing – The Governor should mandate free, widely available testing across CA’s 58 Counties immediately.
- CALPERS – The Governor needs to mandate that CALPERS immediately freeze the current discount rate for two years.
- Federal Funding Allocation–$15 billion in federal COVID disaster relief funding will come to California. A portion of that funding must be allocated to cities on a per capita basis.
- Sales Tax Reprieve – The State government should advance sales tax funding that would have been collected by local governments over the next twelve months to protect cities from insolvency because of lack of sales tax; one of the two main sources of city revenue.
- Jobs – Workforce development programs and increased economic development funding must be a priority to put Californians back to work.
Now is the time for Sacramento to invest in the local community so that the thousands of out-of-work CA residents can access local programs, tailored to local needs; that’s how they’ll be able to care for their families and get back to normal.